Customer Support for ProAdvisors
We hear you loud and clear on the need to improve accountant support to properly care for your clients and help you find the right product for your business. Because of our commitment to you, we are actively taking steps to improve your support experience and want to provide you with some visibility into upcoming changes:
- Returning to U.S.-based accountant support, and plan to have the majority in the US within 9-12 months.
- Improving caller recognition and routing technology, as well as increasing speed at which you are connected to an experienced agent.
- Increasing agents’ expertise. We have kicked off a 6-month robust training plan to improve the knowledge and expertise of our agents. Our initial focus is on payroll and payments.
Share your feedback
Please take a moment to tell us what you think of these changes and what you would like to see included in future versions of QuickBooks Desktop subscription products.
Thank you for your partnership and for your unrelenting dedication to your clients.
Director, QuickBooks Accountant Leader
1 Existing license and support terms will remain unchanged, and will continue through May 2024, for the 2021 versions.
2 Upgrades to a new version will be provided if and when they become available.
3 Based on lab testing vs. prior QuickBooks Desktop (32-bit) versions using a 1GB average file size. Average speed improvement was observed when running “Report Profit and Loss Detail Accrual.” An average speed improvement of 31% was observed on a 400MB file when running “Custom Transaction Detail Accrual Report.” Actual results may vary.
4 Available from 6am-6pm Mon-Fri (PT) for Pro, Premier and Plus customers. Enterprise access available 24/7. Hours exclude occasional downtime due to system and server maintenance, company events, observed U.S. Holidays, and events beyond our control. Access to messaging with live experts or call back support requires a QuickBooks Care Plan, and an internet connection. Care plan is included with Plus and Enterprise subscriptions. A la carte Annual Care Plan MSRP $299.99.
Terms, conditions, pricing, special features, and service and support options subject to change without notice.
FAQs: QuickBooks Desktop Windows and Mac new releases
Q: What is changing this year for QuickBooks Desktop Windows?
QuickBooks Desktop for Windows is updating its product lineup. The changes to our 2022 lineup include:
- Subscription-based product lineup: We will now only be selling our Pro & Premier products as Pro Plus and Premier Plus subscriptions. This focus allows us to deliver greater innovation, value, and productivity features that better meet customer needs.
- Plus benefits/features: This year’s Desktop subscriptions include numerous features that were designed to help your and your clients complete accounting tasks quicker than ever before with enhanced speed and productivity. New features for our 2022 lineup include:
- Accomplish your accounting tasks up to 38% faster with a quicker, more reliable (64-bit) QuickBooks.6
- Schedule and pay bills faster within QuickBooks. Use the funding source you want, and in the digital or physical form your vendors want.4
- Save time by having QuickBooks automate bill entries from the QuickBooks Desktop Mobile App or an email address. Just import, and review.
- Attach documents to transactions faster by directly uploading them via the QuickBooks Desktop mobile app.
- Maintain professional and consistent communications by emailing customizable bill payment stubs to your vendors.
- Send emails more quickly by choosing the right recipients from a list of customer or vendor contacts.
- Manage your online sales and inventory in one place by integrating your e-commerce channels with QuickBooks.5
Please note that clients on older 32-bit computers will not be able to use the 2022 version, which requires a 64-bit compatible Windows operating system. Check here for more information on how to check for compatibility for your Plus and Enterprise customers.
- Distribution: Our QuickBooks Desktop subscription products will continue to be available wherever QuickBooks is sold. Customers seeking an existing Pro or Premier 2021 one-time purchase license (with support through May 2024), may call our sales team at 1-800-591-0302. These will be available for sale until December 10, 2021. Please note that after the one-time license term expires, it will no longer support services like payroll, payments, bank feeds, security patches or feature updates.
Q: What has changed with QuickBooks Desktop for Mac?
QuickBooks Desktop Mac Plus 2022 will be sold as an annual subscription-based license for small businesses. QuickBooks Desktop Mac Plus subscription will provide customers with the same locally-installed Mac Desktop user interface they know and love, with added features and functionality that provides the best value and best-in-class product experience. By launching a 1 year subscription product, we will be able to focus our resources on delivering a superior product that will help customers unlock additional value, support and service offerings previously unavailable. Mac Plus has the same look and feel as the prior QuickBooks Desktop for Mac one-time purchase licenses (supported for 3 years). Existing customers and ProAdvisors will continue to receive support according to their original license terms.
Q: What does this mean for the long-term plans for QuickBooks Desktop?
We have millions of small businesses and accounting professionals who use our QuickBooks Desktop products each year. In making this transition to subscription only, we commit to focusing our investment to deliver greater value and more impactful features for you and your clients.
Q: What happens to support for the non-subscription products?
Support for all non-subscription versions of QuickBooks Desktop will remain unchanged:
- 2021 will be supported through May 2024
- 2020 will be supported through May 2023
- 2019 will be supported through May 2022
Q: What happens if my client cancels their subscription? Will they still be able to use their downloaded software?
Customers who download QuickBooks Desktop subscription products will always ‘own’ their data. If they cancel their subscription, they will no longer have access to the software, but will be able to open their company files on a machine with an active license. If their subscription expires, and is reactivated, they will be able to reopen their data files. Alternatively, accountants with an active, compatible version year of QuickBooks Desktop can open their customers’ files.
Q: I’m intrigued by the enhanced computing power (64-bit compatibility). How do I know if my computer will support that?
For 2022, QuickBooks has modernized its platform to provide enhanced computing power (64-bit compatibility) for up to 38% faster performance.6 Most computers made after 2011 are 64-bit compatible. So, most customers will be able to install and run the new 2022 QuickBooks Desktop software, provided they meet all the system requirements and run a 64-bit compatible operating system (e.g. Windows 8.1 or newer). Older 32-bit computers without a 64-bit compatible operating system will not be able to install new 2022 versions of QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus, Premier Plus, or Enterprise. We recommend customers check their specific 64-bit compatibility before attempting to upgrade to 2022.
For customers who do not have 2022 Desktop (64-bit) operating system compatibility, we recommend one of the following options:
- Upgrade your computer hardware and/or Windows operating system to ensure 64-bit compatibility.
- Use an authorized cloud access provider, such as Intuit hosting, powered by Right Networks. Hosting will allow you to remotely access your data via remote 64-bit compatible servers, without you having to upgrade your hardware/software.
- Remain on your current version of QuickBooks Desktop. The last 32-bit compatible version of QuickBooks Desktop was produced in 2021 and will have support through May 2024. After that date, it will no longer support services like payroll, payments, bank feeds, security patches, or feature updates.
- Check out QuickBooks Online/QuickBooks Online Advanced for a cloud-based option that provides enhanced collaboration and flexibility.
- QuickBooks Desktop stands by its 60 day money back guarantee for customers unable to utilize newly purchased products.
Q: Will you still be offering a migration policy for customers who recently purchased and want to trade it in for the latest version?
By no longer offering one-time purchase licenses, there is no longer a need for a migration policy, since there is no 2022 version of a similar license. However, we do still offer a 60 day money back guarantee for customers who would like to return their product and transition to a 2022 subscription. For uninterrupted access to our latest QuickBooks Desktop versions, we recommend a Pro Plus, Premier Plus, or Enterprise subscription. These products have a similar look and feel to what you have become accustomed to, but with access to our latest versions, when available, and enhanced benefits and protection for your business.
Q: What do these product changes mean for me and my clients?
You and your clients have a number of options for continuing to enjoy the many QuickBooks benefits:
- Easily upgrade to QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus or Premier Plus at any time, in just minutes. Your clients’ data will migrate automatically.
- Your clients may purchase a Pro or Premier 2021 product (one-time purchase license, with support through May 2024). These licenses will only be available through QSPs and Accountants, until 12/10/21.
- Your clients can keep using their current QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier version. Existing license and support terms will remain unchanged, and support will continue through May 2024 for the 2021 version.
- To unlock more power and cutting edge tools, check out QuickBooks Enterprise as an excellent option for growing businesses.
- QuickBooks Online/Online Advanced are great cloud-based options for customers seeking enhanced collaboration and flexibility.
Q: Will customers still have to upgrade regularly if they are on a subscription?
Customers will be notified if and when new upgrades or updates are available. Installing these is done in minutes and in as little as four clicks. We always recommend updating to the latest version for access to powerful new features, better collaboration between accountants and clients, as well as ensuring the latest security patches and 3rd party operating system support. Any new features will be highlighted and accompanied by helpful walkthroughs for simple and easy use.
Q: Why should I consider QuickBooks Online? What is the cost?
We’ve recently released innovations for QuickBooks Online Accountant, like Performance center with industry benchmarking, month-end review, payroll insights, advisory training, and more. To help you better manage your firm’s own financials, we upgraded Your Books, giving you access to QuickBooks Online Advanced and QuickBooks Online Payroll Elite with QuickBooks Time, for free.
We’ve also heard how important it is for you to have quality support when you need it. We are actively increasing the number of experts on our accountant support team, improving our caller recognition, and expanding expert knowledge across payments and payroll to help you get quick and reliable answers. These changes will enable additional improvements to how we support you.
Prices and discounts for QuickBooks Online Simple Start, Essentials, Plus, and Advanced are below.