When you make business recommendations to your clients, it not only helps them transform their businesses, but also makes your relationship with them stronger. As an accounting professional and business consultant, I have seen my clients become more organized and eliminate hours of redundant office work every week by connecting the right apps to QuickBooks Online.
How can you find the right app for the right client? Here, I’ll outline my favorite apps for specific tasks and solutions. These apps address common pain points with solutions that were honed over time. Connecting apps is easier than ever before and won’t mess up your books. In fact, it will make your work life simpler, too.
There are three task-based app categories that will be covered here:
- Data Import and Automation Apps: These apps are generally designed to significantly reduce double data entry when there is a digital version of the data you desire to enter into QuickBooks.
- Time-Tracking Apps: These apps track time spent by employees doing a specific set of tasks or working on customer projects. Timesheets can be used to process payroll or create invoices from billable time.
- Expense Management Apps: With these apps, you can improve your expense management workflows for tracking expenses and managing accounts payable.
Data Import and Automation Apps
Pain points these apps can help solve include the following:
- Entering sales transactions into QuickBooks that are already recorded via another system that processes sales, such as a point of sale or e-commerce system.
- Creating new vendors and customers (with their contact information) that already exists on other databases.
- Manual transcription of receipts, bills and invoices that have the potential to be scanned and read by software to be automated into QuickBooks.
- Accuracy/errors due to transcription of large amounts of data.
To tackle these pain points, I reviewed and recommend three apps within the data import and automation category:
SaasAnt Excel Transaction Importer: Ideal for importing any type of QuickBooks transaction that is already in a flat Excel or CSV file. Similar apps: Transaction Pro Importer and Business Transaction Importer
MoneyThumb SlickConnect: Designed to read bank and credit card statements uploaded via PDF format or scanned to be imported into QuickBooks automatically as uncategorized transactions that the user can reclassify within QuickBooks. Similar apps: AutoEntry, Receipt Bank and HubDoc
AutoEntry: Allows for uploading receipts, bills, invoices and bank/credit card statements to be read via OCR (optical character recognition) and converted into an importable format for QuickBooks. Similar apps: Receipt Bank, Expensify and HubDoc
Here is a video that explains how these three apps work in more detail: