Help your clients transform their businesses with some easy recommendations. As an accounting professional and business consultant, I have seen my clients become more organized and eliminate hours of redundant and often boring office work every week by connecting the right app to QuickBooks® Online. There are so many great apps, and sometimes it can be challenging to figure out where to start.
In this article and videos, I outline my favorite apps for specific industries. These apps address common industry pain points with solutions that were honed over time. Connecting apps is easier than ever and won’t mess up your clients’ books. In fact, it will make your work life simpler, too.
There are three basic categories of businesses covered by these time-saving apps:
- Field Services: These businesses mostly serve clients “on-site,” with people, materials and/or equipment performing key tasks and services in the field. This includes landscapers, home appliance contractors, construction companies and others.
- Retail (Wholesale/eCommerce): These businesses mostly buy, maintain and sell inventory. Examples include retail stores, e-commerce businesses, light manufacturers and wholesale distributors.
- Professional Services: These businesses offer employee or contractor time, knowledge and expertise as their primary service. Examples include accountants, bookkeepers, lawyers and business consultants.
Apps for field service industry
Common pain points within the Field Service industry include:
- Scheduling jobs based on optimal routing and capacity planning.
- Dispatching, fleet management and GPS location tracking.
- Choosing the right crew, truck, material and/or equipment to take to the job.
- Tracking materials consumed during the job.
- Scheduling additional service visits or time required to complete jobs outside allocated time.
- Tracking change orders – changes to work being performed or materials needed to be used based on customer requests, in the middle of the job.
- Completing job costing, and understanding the amount of labor and materials needed to be consumed to stay within budget.
- Tracking customer communications and warranty/service requests.
- Collecting payments, deposits or partial payments on site.
- Remote time tracking.
Two apps that address these pain points are Knowify and Jobber, although there are other apps that offer similar functionality:
Both Knowify and Jobber play a very big role in the day-to-day operations, which means they can make a huge impact on how your clients run their businesses. Here is a video that explains how these two apps work in more detail: