Firm of the Future Profile: Goshen Bookkeeping and Consulting, LLC

Firm of the Future Profile: Goshen Bookkeeping and Consulting, LLC

Welcome back to our Firm of the Future profile series about thriving firms who are benefitting from the cloud and QuickBooks® Online Accountant to better serve clients and find new revenue opportunities. In this new article, we spotlight Ufuoma Ogaga, founder and CEO of Goshen Bookkeeping and Consulting, LLC, a firm in Austell, Ga.

Mindy King: Ufuoma, tell us about your accounting practice.

Ufuoma Ogaga: I am the owner of Goshen Bookkeeping & Consulting, LLC, a full-service virtual accounting firm based in Atlanta, providing outsourced bookkeeping, payroll, business coaching and QuickBooks consulting services to service-based small businesses and nonprofit organizations. I help business owners reduce the stress of managing their finances using cloud technology and help them maximize their business profits.

MK: How long have you been using QuickBooks Online Accountant (QBOA)?

UO: I have been using QBOA for the last six years.

MK: What convinced you to make the move to QuickBooks Online Accountant?

UO: I loved the ease of use and the ability to get work done from anywhere from any device in the world, as long as I have internet. As a single member firm business owner, I can take vacations and spend time with the people I love without having to worry about deadlines and lack of communication with my clients. I can still get payroll and bookkeeping done anywhere and anytime. No more worry about backups, computer crashes and data loss. 

MK: What are your goals for your practice this year?

UO: My goal for my business is to focus on growth and balance. I want to add more high-quality clients to my portfolio and fine-tune my value pricing technique, while maintaining a healthy balance between work and personal.

MK: What’s your favorite away-from-the-office place to get work done?

UO: Open floor co-working spaces are amazing to meet new people and watch business owners in action. Coffee shops are my second favorite to get work done. I often get approached by prospective clients that read my logo on my laptop, asking questions about their business or wanting tax tips.

MK: Where’s the craziest place you’ve done work for a client?

UO: I haven’t encountered a crazy place to get work done for a client. Getting work done for multiple clients while looking out the Niagara Falls ocean view in Ontario, Canada, two summers ago was the best and most scenery experience I have ever encountered.

MK: What’s your number one timesaving tip?

UO: Figure out your productivity level early on in your business and learn how to prioritize your work according to that. When I say productivity level, I am talking about recognizing what your most productive moments are each day and deciding whether you are someone that thrives with a structured process or a flow/mood process. It also means determining whether you are an early morning person, a night owl or a combination of both when working. 

For me, I have found that my most productive moments are the early mornings between 4 a.m. to 6 a.m., when everyone else is still asleep. I get important projects completed during this time and respond to all emails from the prior day since there are no distractions. I love the peace and quiet this time slot offers. I also love having a structured process with some room to go with the flow when working with clients. Understanding my productivity level has helped me to deal with stress, stick to my boundaries using the art of saying no and keep my life balance.

MK: When you’re not working, what’s your favorite way to spend your time?

UO: My favorite way to spend my time depends on my mood. I tend to take a day to pamper myself, or work on a DIY project. I also love traveling with family and friends, attending a rejuvenating conference, or volunteering my time to a local charity.

MK: What advice do you have for peers that are still on the desktop?

UO: If QuickBooks Online (QBO) will fit 70 percent of your clients’ needs, then move them to the cloud and find apps to meet the remaining 30 percent. QBO is constantly evolving with new features, so the earlier you get on board now with using cloud technology, the less learning curve you will have to go through later on. Even if you have to stay on the desktop, find a hosting solution to host QuickBooks Desktop to get the client comfortable with the idea of having access to their data on the go and not being stuck to an on-site network server. This will save the client IT costs and data loss horror, especially if they are a small business owner with no in-house IT department.