How to Switch Your Accounting Clients to QuickBooks Online
A client calls the office with a question regarding his financial statements. He promises the question will not take long, and he is probably right, yet it just took 20 minutes to figure out what version of QuickBooks® desktop he was using.
Sound familiar? No need to worry, you are in good company!
When it comes to selecting a bookkeeping/accounting software, QuickBooks has been the product of choice for many businesses. While the desktop version has always been consistent and reliable, it has also been known to cause a few headaches as well. From lost time spent researching which version of QuickBooks desktop your client uses, to the frustrating task of working with an accountants copy only to lose all the data during the transfer, providing accurate and reliable service to your clients can often be time consuming and frustrating.
And then QuickBooks Online came along!
Today’s clients want information that is accurate and reliable. Updating books on a monthly or quarterly basis is a thing of the past. Thanks to QuickBooks Online, providing this service to your clients is not the hassle it once was. QuickBooks Online provides that personal touch without the hefty price tag. Clients tend to want bigger and better, but are skeptical of change and cloud-based solutions. QuickBooks Online offers the same feel as the desktop version we have all come to know and love, but has also made changes to increase speed and accuracy. From the clients’ perspective, they are now able to spend less time working in the business and more time working on their business. Gone are the days of entering manual transactions and storing receipts in file folders around the office.
You know your clients best and know what will work and what will not. If you decide that QuickBooks Online is the way to go, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Initial Introduction – Bring up QuickBooks Online a few weeks prior to when you’d like the switch to take place. Introduce the idea and give the client time to digest the information that is being presented.
- Timing of Upload – Schedule the upload for a time that is not busy for your office. Spending extra time up front will allow for smooth sailing down the road.
- Smooth Transition – To ensure a smooth transition, make sure your client’s desktop version is up to date. Until this is done, you will not be able to upload them to the cloud.
- Master Admin – Set up and customize the account for your client. Once this is done, schedule time with your client to walk them through the features and answer any questions. When the client feels confident in the new platform, switch the Master Admin role to them.
- 100% Satisfaction – Provide a guarantee to your clients. If, after 60 days, your clients are still not 100% satisfied with the move, let them know you will move them back to the desktop version. This way they have nothing to lose by trying QuickBooks Online!
QuickBooks Online is a great product and also the way of the future. No wonder so many companies are making the move. With the New Year around the corner, now is the time to embrace this change. Start the conversation with your clients today to ensure 2014 is the best year yet!