Submit Adjustments With ReFILE
If your clients initially filed their tax return online, you can use ReFILE to adjust their 2016 or 2015 T1 returns.
Who can use ReFILE?
You can use the ReFILE service if the following conditions apply:
- You are an EFILE service provider in good standing with the CRA, meaning that you were accepted to use EFILE or your EFILE privileges have not been suspended or revoked.
- You use ProFile version 2016.4.3 or higher.
- You client initially filed their tax return online.
- You are not discounting on the ReFILE submission.
- You have level 2 authorization from your client.
- The initial return was assessed.
- You have acquired a new sign-off on a revised T183 from client.
What does the ReFILE service exclude?
In addition to CRA’s standard EFILE and Change My Return exclusions, you cannot use the ReFILE service if the taxpayer is:
- Subject to provincial or territorial income tax in more than one jurisdiction.
- Waiting for either an initial Notice of Assessment or a Reassessment.
- Amending an election or wants to make an election.
- Applying for child and family benefits.
- Allocating the refund, if applicable, to other CRA accounts.
- Applying for the disability tax credit.
- In the position of having arbitrarily filed by CRA.
In addition, you cannot use ReFILE to change page 1 of the taxpayer's T1 Income Tax and Benefit Return. Instead, individual taxpayers should use My Account to make changes to information such as marital status or email address.
The online system accepts nine adjustments per tax year for each taxpayer. If you exceed this, an automated response will indicate how to send a paper request.
To learn more about the ReFILE service, click here.