If your clients are still using a legacy on-premise accounting system or an entry-level accounting software that doesn't come with robust bank feeds and customizable reporting capabilities, it may be time to suggest they make the move to an accounting platform that lets them integrate industry-specific apps more easily.
A successful migration is built on careful planning. In the past, this meant downloading a client's' historical records one file at a time, mapping and importing to the new system, and all the while hoping the files moved over correctly. Or you or your client paid an import tool or another migration service to do the work … and that wasn’t cheap.
But it doesn’t need to be, especially when moving clients over to QuickBooks Online Advanced. Introducing QuickBooks Online migrations, powered by DataSwitcher. With DataSwitcher, your clients' file migrations from Sage 50 or Xero complete in less than 72 hours—with the majority completed in less than a day).
Six tips to remember for a successful migration
Tip 1: Make sure your client file has a backup copy
BEFORE a migration, make sure your client has backed up a copy of their data from their legacy system so they, and you, can access it in the future as needed. This step may not be required if the legacy system is a cloud-based software.
Tip 2: Make a plan
Every accounting software is built differently; hence, the data architecture and formats can be different, too. Create a migration plan following these considerations:
- Which data matters to your clients business and how does it matter?
- How do they plan to use the information in the new system?
- Who will be using the information?
- Timeline of migration?
- What is the pre-migration work needed to complete prior to migration?
Note: There is some pre-migration work needed before migrating with DataSwitcher, so make sure to build that into your timeline.
Consider one of these approaches:
Essential data only:
- Only bring in essential lists of information, such as customers, vendors, COA, products, and services.
- This approach brings in just enough information so you can set up your new books in the way you like. Consider this approach when you do not have intention to bring over the bulk of past transactions.
Transaction details and journal entries:
- You want to bring in all the essential records, as well as the detailed transactions.
- Because every system is designed differently, you may need to ensure your historical data can be mapped to the fields in the new system or brought in as journal entries.
Tip 3: Choose the right tool
- Migrates two years of data, with additional years available at a cost.
- Transactional history is brought in as actual transactions.
- Includes inventory.
- Classes/Departments come in as journal entries.
- AR and AP Detail for outstanding customers/vendors.
Clients can migrate up to two years of historical data for FREE. For an additional fee, they can migrate additional years. Get started here
Tip 4: When should clients migrate their data?
It is important to determine WHEN to run a data migration. Ideally, this is the non-peak time frame for your business activities so as to avoid disruptions.
- When a migration is in progress, it’s better for the systems to be left untouched; no one should be doing data entry.
- Alert your users and set expectations so everyone is aware of the upcoming change.
Typically there is pre-migration work needed before migrating with DataSwitcher, so make sure to build that into your timeline. The pre-migration tasks include:
- Ensuring the company file is up to date.
- Ensuring your new QBO file is empty.
- Reconciling your bank and credit card accounts.
- Completing the sales tax return.
- Noting the A/R and A/P Accounts versus Unpaid Receivables and Payables.
- Checking the file integrity.
- Checking for multiple A/R and A/P accounts.
Tip 5: Validate the imported data when migration completes
Double-check your migration. Run the following reports in QuickBooks Online against the closing balances DataSwitcher provides:
- Balance Sheet
- Trial Balance
- A/R Aging Summary
- A/P Aging Summary
Do the same for outstanding vendor and customer balances.
Tip 6: Once migration is validated, proceed with the following to set up your QuickBooks Online:
- Review account configurations.
- Set up custom fields, forms, or reports.
- Perform initial reconciliation.
- Connect your bank and credit card accounts.
- Set up users and permissions.
- Set up third-party apps, if applicable.
To learn more about migrating to QuickBooks Online Advanced with DataSwitcher, watch the following video: